Installing a new toilet may seem like a daunting task, but with a few tools and some patience, it can be done easily as a DIY project. If you are planning to install a new toilet in your bathroom, this article will guide you through the process step by step.
Before we dive into the installation procedure, there are a few things you need to consider. Firstly, ensure that the new toilet fits your bathroom space and matches with the existing bathroom décor. Secondly, ensure that you have all the necessary tools and supplies like a new wax seal, long screws, toilet mounting bolts, and a wrench.
Here’s a step by step guide to install a new toilet:
1. Turn off the Water Supply – Before starting the installation process, you need to turn off the water supply. You can locate the valve behind your old toilet and gently turn it clockwise until it is fully closed.
2. Remove the Old Toilet – The next step is to remove the old toilet. Use a bucket to drain the remaining water in the old bowl and remove it from the flange. Remove any old wax pieces with a putty knife. Ensure that the floor is clean and free from any debris.
3. Inspect the Flange – Inspect the flange to see if it is in good condition. If it is in bad condition, you need to replace it before installing the new toilet. If it is in good condition, you can proceed to the next step.
4. Install the New Wax Ring – Place the new wax ring onto the flange. Ensure that it is centered on the flange and level.
5. Install the Toilet Bowl – Lift the new toilet bowl and place it over the wax ring. Ensure that it is aligned with the flange and level. Then, insert the mounting bolts into the toilet holes and tighten them.
6. Connect the Water Supply – Connect the water supply line to the toilet tank. Ensure that the connections are tight, but don’t over tighten them.
7. Install the Toilet Tank – Place the tank over the bowl and then install the bolts that secure the tank to the bowl. Make sure that the tank is level.
8. Attach the Toilet Seat – Finally, attach the toilet seat to the bowl with the provided nuts and bolts. Make sure that the seat is level and securely attached.
9. Turn on the Water Supply – Once everything is in place and secure, turn on the water supply and check for any leaks. If everything is okay, you can then use your new toilet.
Now that you have installed your new toilet, you can enjoy its conveniences and functions immediately. Installing a toilet may seem intimidating, but with this step-by-step DIY guide, it can be done without any complications. Remember that if you face any difficulties or issues, seek professional assistance to avoid causing further problems.